Gay rights activists in Fort Worth are dissatisfied with police suspensions over a raid on a gay bar – calling it “a slap on the hand” – and have renewed their call for an independent investigation, The Dallas Morning News reported.

Police Chief Jeff Halstead returned to the scene of the June raid to release his findings on Thursday. Standing outside the Rainbow Lounge, he said the investigation found that three officers violated departmental policies, but dismissed all charges that police used excessive force. Each of the officers received a one- to three-day suspension.

“We did not provide service to the GLBT [gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender] community with respect,” said Halstead. “It was clear from some of the 32 witnesses interviewed that some of our officers entered into the Rainbow Lounge in a manner that was perceived as aggressive, rude and unprofessional.”

The June 28 inspection resulted in the arrests of six people for public intoxication and sent one man, Chad Gibson, to the hospital with a severe head injury. The raid sparked a loud outcry from the city's gay and lesbian community, which has called the raid police harassment.

Agents from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) assisted the department in carrying out the raid. After conducting its own investigation, TABC officials fired three agents involved in the raid.

In July, the police department released a report that suggested officers and agents turned violent because they faced sexually aggressive patrons – a claim eye-witnesses deny. Men and women “were reaching their hands out to touch officers, and moving their bodies in a sexually suggestive manner” as officers and agents inspected the club, the police report says. The report alleges that Rainbow Lounge patrons blew kisses, groped agents and simulated sex acts with police officers.

Jon Nelson, spokesman for Fairness Fort Worth, a gay rights group that formed after the raid, renewed his call for an independent investigation. “This report, because of the lack of proper and adequate disciplinary actions, does not set the standard for accountability,” he said during the news conference.

Chief Halstead's initial response to the raid angered activists, who called his icy “take a deep breath” comment insensitive. Halstead has since apologized.

Thursday's police report on the use of force was originally expected in September.