The Navy has charged a fellow sailor with the death of August Provost, a gay sailor found dead on June 30 in a Camp Pendleton guard shack near San Diego, California, the AP reported.

Officials said Thursday they have charged Petty Officer 2nd Class Jonathan Campos with 16 charges, including the murder of Provost. Campos is assumed to be the person of interest being held in the brig at Miramar Marine Cops Air Station since July 1.

Provost of Houston, Texas was found dead about 3:30AM on June 30, a Tuesday.

“While allegedly attempting to gain access to the ACU FIVE compound Campos encountered Seaman Provost at the sentry station at which point Campos allegedly shot him multiple times,” said Captain Matt Brown, a Navy spokesman for Navy Region Southwest. “In an apparent effort to conceal evidence after Seaman Provost was shot, Campos allegedly took the sentry's firearm, and then set fire to the guard shack.”

The Navy also charged Campos, 32, with arson, unlawful entry, theft of military property and wrongful possession of a firearm, among another charges. Campos served with Provost in the same unit.

The Navy asserted once again that there was no evidence to suggest that Provost was a victim of an anti-gay hate crime: “No information has been gathered to date to support allegations of a hate crime,” Brown said. Several family members have said that Provost had complained about being harassed by fellow sailors because he was gay.

“I'm not sure the charges will settle our questions about August being harassed or murdered for his sexual orientation,” Rose Roy, Provost's aunt, told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Campos, a decorated sailor who joined the Navy in 2001, had been involved in a rash of criminal activity, including a June 13 break-in of a sailor's residence where he stole an Xbox and the .45-caliber pistol used to kill Provost, a June 20 drunk driving arrest, and a July 1 solicitation to murder another active-duty sailor, Brown said.

“We must remember that the Navy lost a well-respected sailor who was standing his assigned watch in his appointed place of duty,” Brown said. “Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends of Seaman Provost, and we will continue to provide support and assistance to the family.”

Provost joined the Navy in March 2008, after completing three years of college, to help finance his education. He was studying to become an architectural engineer.