Police have taken into custody a
16-year-old male suspect in the so-called “gay slay” of radio
journalist George Weber.
Weber was found dead Sunday – his
ankles bound with duct tape and the walls of his Brooklyn, New York
apartment splattered with his blood – but officials believe he was
killed Friday night.
John Katehis was arrested Tuesday
night; charges are pending, reports The New York Times.
Officials allege that Weber, 47, and
Katehis met online at Craigslist.com when the teen responded to a
personals ad posted by Weber looking for Hispanic men into rough sex.
The pair met on Friday and agreed to return to Weber's home.
The New York Daily News called
Katehis a “Satan-loving sadomasochist with a knife fetish” after
viewing his online profile at MySpace.com.
There were no signs of forced entry at
Weber's Carroll Gardens home, where he had been stabbed about 50
times, including in his head, his neck, the front and rear of his
torso, his arms and his hands, authorities said. Police say the cuts
to his hands suggest Weber might have attempted to fight off his
Authorities collared Katehis at a bus
stop Tuesday night after combing through emails on Weber's home
computer and phone records from his cell phone. “He subsequently
made statements implicating himself in the stabbing death,” Paul J.
Browne, the police department's chief spokesman, told the Times.
The New York Post dubbed the
killing a “gay slay.”
Weber was a long-time New York City
radio personality. A Friday blog post ironically titled “NYC's bed
bug attack” was his last (www.georgeweberthenewsguy.blogspot.com).